The readings from Chapters 1-3 of Fox were most informative for our Kindergarten Buddy Reading, Rhyming, and Sounds test.
I never knew the five levels of learning language and the levels of understanding of words. Some of my earliest word learning memories were with the clapping for a syllable method. I still use that in when I am playing around with words for making Haikus.
My favorite quote from this reading is from Chapter 1, page 13. “In using letter and sound cues, readers do not always have to perfectly pronounce the words they are figuring out. Pronunciation need only sound enough like the real word to trigger recognition.” Fantastic. Heck this applies to any Sci-Fi and Fantasy books out there that use their own made up words and languages. Bravo!
Chapter 2 had some amazing lessons for teaching sounds and word building. I thought that Arm Blending (page 53) was a fantastic idea to put motion into sounding things out. And I really like the idea of the Rhyming Picture Collage for a visual representation towards rhyme creation.
After doing these readings I now understand the implications of these tests and how it will help the student grow and the teacher assist her pupils.
Can Messy Learning Make A Comeback?
8 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment