Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chapter 9

My favorite quote of Chapter 9 is found on page 231:

“You have not done your total job as an editor. You will need to read your paper carefully over and over again to fix up everything we have talked about. Check our editing expectations list. Don’t take my time until you’ve done absolutely everything you can do.”

When I read this quote, I was shocked at first. What a harsh comment to make to a beginning writer. Especially when the entire preceding sections were about complimenting the writer, building up that credit of trust, and encouraging the appeal of writing.

Then I began to reflect on at what point in the writing process she is discussing and how she has related the editing experience to her own experience with an Editor. Then I realized that she had gotten them to think like they were mini-professional writers and if they were going to the publication stage of writing, their work had better be up to par.

To use this quote effectively would take a lot of pre-discussion about the “job” of writing. I have no current experience with dealing in the world of editors and printable work, so trying to use a similar technique in the classroom would rely solely on my bluffing skills. However, I do like the fact that the students are being invested in the writing to such a degree to take “editing criticism” like that example.

This whole chapter is involved with the six traits. Through Routman’s mini-lessons and maxi-lessons she is picking and choosing which of the six traits needs to emphasized depending upon the students’ needs as a classroom. Her method of conferencing and complimenting the story and genuine support for the budding writer is incredible. When I go back to my third grade classroom I am definitely going to try and attempt this. Here’s to hoping I don’t cause tears.

(I had inadvertently "Saved" this post. Fixed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment