So, I have a struggling reader in my class. He avoids reading and writing like the plague. I have been trying to take an active role in helping this student out in class, by making sure I sit with him for a few minutes to help him out with his brainstorming during my poetry lessons.
An example of his writing is the word "kane" as in Can (Can of Cola). This student struggles with his writing.
And he struggles with his reading, I've seen him fight through some paragraphs during the literacy cirlces, but once he s done, he needs to goof off and close the book. I assume it is burning off nervous energy and frustration from the effort he put in to reading outloud to his circle mates.
This week, a parent volunteer came in to do her reading with students. This reading assessment is how the student reads outloud, details that they rememeber, and if the book is too easy or hard. Simple stuff. Well, this students name finally came up and he had no book (by design or by accident who knows). I jump up from my observation spot, walk to the class library and flip through some books. I pick three chapter books simple to slightly harder and tell him to start with the harder one (which I did not tell him was hard) and to move down the line. So far so good, the parent aid saw me do this and I think she knew what i was doing.
The student came back in, and I asked him which book he liked. He liked the first harder one the best. So, I tried to take a page from Routman, and I let him know that I am really curuious about that book, so, somtime this week i want you to draw me your favorite scene fromt he book, and when I come in on Monday, I want you to tell me about it.
I hope I pulled this off correctly. I hope the kid actually reads to find something that strikes his fancy. I hope the kid dosen't avoid the project.
Can Messy Learning Make A Comeback?
8 months ago
I love what you did for this student. You helped him save face and maybe found a way to interest him in reading. I hope you post about what you find in school tomorrow; what part of the book interested him and what he chose to draw.
ReplyDeleteWhat a dilemma. This is so hard to tackle. I suppose I am wondering a few things about this student. First of all does the student get books from the library when they go? If the student does, what do they choose normally? Have you or your teacher had a reading conference with the student? I think maybe this would help. You could see what the student really likes to read. You could pick a book to read and discuss together. I know this is just another thing to add to the list, but you may find it transform their reading experience. I am reading two books right now with my two readers who hate to read. Well I was told by them that they do not like to read, but really it was something completely different. One hates to read out loud. The other hates reading the books we assign. Honestly some of them are not great, but they serve a purpose. This student actually does not like fiction at all. He likes non-fiction. So off we went to the library and right now I am learning more about the Aztecs than I really wanted to know. BTW, did you know they had a game similar to basketball? Anyway, you can see where this is headed. They are both engaged in the reading. Also, are there guided reading groups going right now? Can you join her group?
ReplyDelete